1. World Breastfeeding week is celebrated on first week of August. This year theme is “Breastfeeding: Foundation for Life”.
2. The IT ministry launched a desktop software ‘e-Aksharayan’ to enable editing of text printed on scanned documents and it can be downloaded for free from its website.
3. India ranked 96th on United Nation’s E-Government Index, topped by Denmark.
4.BEML and Heavy Engineering Corporation Ltd (HEC) have signed an MoU to to produce heavy mining equipment leveraging the capabilities of each other.
5. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) hiked policy rates for the second time in a row on fears of rising inflation rates. New policy rates are
Repo Rate: 6.5 %
Reverse Repo Rate: 6.25%
Bank Rate: 6.75%
SLR : 19.5%
6. Former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi has been chosen for this year’s Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Award for promoting communal harmony and peace.
7. Rajasthan has become the first State in the country to implement the national policy on biofuels unveiled by the Centre in May this year.
8. Indian javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra won gold medal at the Savo Games in Finland.
9. China has launched Gaofen-11, an optical remote sensing satellite, as part of its high-resolution Earth observation project. It will aid in the Belt and Road Initiative.