08th June 2018 Current Affairs – Gk Today
1. World Oceans Day is celebrated on 08th June. This year theme is “preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean”.
2. India captain Virat Kohli’s phenomenal batting form has fetched him the “BCCI’s best cricketer award” for two seasons, while World Cup stars Harmanpreet Kaur and Smriti Mandhana were chosen for the women’s equivalent of the honour, the Board announced.
3. Interest subsidy scheme on short-term crop loans of up to Rs.3 lakh will be implemented through the DBT mode from the current financial year, the Reserve Bank said.
4. President Ram Nath Kovind gave West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi additional charge of Tripura Governor.
5. The UN India Business Forum and the NITI Aayog formed a consortium to reduce gender disparities in start-up investments by providing mentorship and networking opportunities and accelerating financial and market linkages for women entrepreneurs.
6. President Ram Nath Kovind announced that the “queen” variety of pineapple as the Tripura’s state fruit.
7. Jordan’s King Abdullah II has appointed Omar Razzaz as the new Prime Minister of Jordan.
8. The World Economic Forum (WEF) has appointed Sarita Nayyar to its Managing Board.
9. Ecuadorean Foreign Minister Maria Fernanda Espinosa was elected president of the 73rd United Nations General Assembly.
10. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved procurement of high powered radars for the Indian Air Force and air cushion vehicles for the Army and the Coast Guard together worth over Rs.5,500 crore.
11. The Indian Navy ships, Sahyadri, Shakti and Kamorta of the Eastern Fleet arrived at Guam to participate in the 22nd edition of Exercise Malabar to be held off the coast of Guam in the Philippine Sea from June 7 to June 16.
12. Star batswoman Mithali Raj become the first Indian cricketer to amass 2,000 runs in Twenty20 Internationals (T20I).