1. The International Day for Disaster Reduction is observed on 13th October. This year theme ‘Reducing Disaster Economic Losses’.
2. India and Azerbaijan have agreed to take measures to enhance bilateral trade relations. The two countries signed protocol on trade and economic, science and technology cooperation.
3. The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO) reiterated India’s status as a polio-free country.
4. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj informed that India has been elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council, UNHRC, with highest number of votes.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will pay an official visit to Japan on October 28-29 to hold the annual India-Japan summit with his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe which will focus on bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interests.
6. India has ranked 103rd out of 119 qualifying countries in the 2018 Global Hunger Index (GHI).
7. Legendary musician Annapurna Devi has passed away.
8. Rio Paralympics medallist Deepa Malik bagged her second medal as she clinched a bronze in the women’s F51/52/53s discus throw vent at the Asian Para Games.