1. National Sports Day is celebrated on 29th August, to mark the birthday of Dhyan Chand, the legendary hockey player who won three gold medals in the Olympics for India.
2. The Central government and the World Bank have signed 300 million dollar loan agreements for India Energy Efficiency Scale up Programme. They signed 220 million dollar Loan Agreement and an 80 million Guarantee Agreement for the Efficiency Scale-Up Program.
3. The World Bank will provide a $250 million loan facility to Rajasthan for improving the performance of its electricity distribution sector.
4. Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar launched the 3rd edition of World’s Biggest Open Innovation Model – ‘Smart India Hackathon- 2019′ in New Delhi.
5. Scotland has become the first country to provide free sanitary products to students to banish “period poverty”.
6. The First South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Agri Cooperative Business Forum began in Kathmandu, Nepal.
7.UN Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed veteran Indian development economist and UN official Satya S Tripathi as Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
8. Manjit Singh won gold while Jenson Johnson won silver in the men’s 800m final at Asian Games 2018 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
9. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the ‘Mu Hero Mu Odisha’ (I am hero, I am Odisha) campaign that aimed at identifying agents of change and recognising their contribution to the state.
10. Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal inaugurated the Smart Railways Conclave organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in New Delhi.