1. International Day of Older Persons is celebrated on 01st October. This year theme is “Celebrating Older Human Rights champions”.
2. The Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine was awarded to James P. Allison and Tasuku Honjo for their work on cancer research.
3. The Government has constituted a Competition Law Review Committee to review the Competition Act to ensure that the legislation is in sync with the changing business environment. The Committee will be headed by Injeti Srinivas.
4. The Government constituted a seven-member ministerial panel headed by Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Modi to examine modalities for revenue mobilisation in case of natural calamities and disasters.
5. The Reserve Bank has imposed a penalty of Rs.5 crore for Karur Vysya Bank, as it did not follow property tax rule.
6. China will hold the fifth World Internet Conference (WIC) in its river town of Wuzhen in November.
7. The Assam government has launched Wage Compensation scheme for Pregnant Women in tea gardens of the state.
8. The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) unveiled a comprehensive city level Flood Forecasting and Early Warning System (FFEWS) to help the officials of the civic body and citizens act decisively to minimise damage before and during disasters. Kolkata is the first city in India to be equipped with this kind of technology.
9. The Goa government inked an MoU with Portugal and said that the coastal state was looking at the European nation, with which it has a historical link, for its model of development.
10. Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development and Entrepreneurship launched an innovative initiative, titled Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transportation (SATAT).
11. India’s first bill to give legal protection to good samaritans in Karnataka who help accident victims, has been given assent by President Ram Nath Kovind.
12. The Vice President, M. Venkaiah Naidu gave the ‘Vayoshreshtha Samman Awards 2018’ to Senior Citizens, in New Delhi.
13. The United States and Canada have agreed to a deal replacing the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The new deal has been deemed the USMCA, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
14. India’s Yuvraj Wadhwani has clinched Asian Junior Squash Championship title.
15. Legendary harmonium exponent Pandit Tulsidas Borkar has passed away.