OPSC Syllabus: Odisha Public Service Commission (OPSC) is going to conduct Civil Services Exam 2017 for recruitment of various vacancies under State Government of Odisha. The following details are OPSC Exam Syllabus for Civil Services Exam 2017
OPSC Syllabus – Civil Services Exam 2017
The Competitive Examination shall comprise as follows.
- Preliminary Examination,
- Main Examination,
- Personality Test or Interview
OPSC Exam Pattern – Preliminary Examination Syllabus
The Preliminary Examination shall consist of two papers of objective type(Multiple choice questions) and each paper shall be of two hours duration.
|Paper No||Subject||Total Marks|
|Paper – I||General Studies||200 Marks|
|Paper – II||General Studies||200 Marks|
Odisha PSC Detailed Syllabus for Paper I
- Current events of National and International importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
- Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System, Panchayat Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General Issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.
Odisha PSC Detailed Syllabus for Paper II
- Interpersonal Skills including communication skills
- Logical Reasoning and Analytic ability
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- General Mental Ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude) (Class-X level). Data Interpretation (Charts, Graphs, Tables, Data Sufficiency etc. – Class-X level)
- English Language Comprehension Skills (Class-X level).
Important Points for OPSC Preliminary Exam:
The scope of the syllabi for optional subject papers for the Main Examination is broad of the Degree level, i.e., a level higher than the Bachelor Degree and lower than the Master Degree. In the case of Engineering and Law, the level corresponds to the Bachelors’ Degree.
The Preliminary Examination is meant to serve as a screening test only. The marks obtained in Preliminary Examination by the candidates who are declared qualified for admission to the main examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit. The number of candidates to be admitted to the Main Examination belonging to each category would be as nearly as may be but not more than 12 times of the total number of vacancies advertised.
In the Preliminary Examination, candidates shall be awarded marks for correct response to each question. One-fourth marks assigned to that question shall be deducted for indicating the incorrect response of each question, but no deduction from the total score shall be made if no response is indicated for a question in the answer sheet. There shall be four responses to each question to be answered and only one correct response shall be made to that. More than one response to any question shall be treated as wrong response and marks for such wrong response shall be deducted if one of the responses happened to be an incorrect response.
OPSC Exam Pattern – Main Examination
The Main Examination shall consist of the following papers and each paper shall be of three hours duration
Compulsory papers 1400 marks
|Paper No||Subject||Total Marks|
|Paper – I||Odia Language||300 Marks|
|Paper – II||English||300 Marks|
|Paper – III||English Essay||200 Marks|
|Paper – IV||General Studies I||300 Marks|
|Paper – V||General Studies II||300 Marks|
Optional Papers – (Paper VI, VII, VIII & IX) – 1200 mark
Two subjects to be selected from the list of Optional subjects set out below. Each subject will have two papers and each paper carrying 300 marks
LIST OF OPTIONAL SUBJECTS FOR the MAIN EXAMINATION
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Agricultural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Fisheries Science
- Home Science
- Indian Language & Literature (anyone) (a) Odia, (b) Hindi, (c) Sanskrit, (d) English, (e) Persian, (fl Urdu.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science & International Relations
- Public Administration
Important Points for OPSC Main Exam
The candidates must opt for two optional subjects for Main Examination in the respective Box of the online application. Request for change of Optional Subjects will not be entertained.
Candidates shall not be allowed to opt for the following combinations of optional subjects
- Odia, Hindi, Persian, Sanskrit, Urdu, English
- Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Agricultural Engineering.
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Anthropology & Sociology
- Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration.
- Commerce & Accountancy and Management.
- Agriculture and Animal Husband1y & Veterinary Science
- Management and Public Administration
- Education and Psychology
- Agriculture and Agricultural Engineering.
Each of the Papers i.e. Paper-I (Odia language) and Paper-II (English) will be of Matriculation standard and shall be qualifying in nature. The marks obtained in these two papers shall not be counted for ranking.
The papers on Essay, General Studies and Optional Subjects of only those candidates shall be evaluated who attain such minimum standard as may be fixed by the Commission at their discretion for the qualifying papers in Odia Language and English.
The question papers for the Main Examination shall be of conventional (essay) type.
The question papers other than Indian Language and Literature shall be set in English as per G.A. Department Letter No 18430/Gen., date 04th July 2013, the question papers in all subjects will be in English only except in Language papers and reply are permitted in English or Odia according to the choice of the candidates. The candidates will specify the option of language in the appropriate box of an online application form. No candidate will be permitted to use more than one language in the same answer script
OPSC Exam Pattern – Personality Test/Interview
- Personality Test or Interview shall carry … 250 Marks
The candidate shall be interviewed by a Board to be constituted by the OPSC for the purpose. The said Board will have before them a record of his career. He will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the interview will be to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service. The object of the test shall be to judge the mental caliber of a candidate, his intellectual qualities as well as social traits and his interest in current affairs. Further some of the qualities (to be judged will be) like mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, the balance of judgment, variety, and depth of interest, the ability for social cohesion and leadership, intellectual and moral integrity to be judged by the said board.
OPSC Recruitment, Syllabus, Exam Pattern, Admit Card, Result Details
|OPSC Recruitment Notification||View Job Notification|
|OPSC Syllabus||View Syllabus|
|OPSC Exam Pattern||View Exam Pattern|
|OPSC Admit Card||Download Admit Card|
|OPSC Result||View Result|
|OPSC Answer Key||Updating Soon|
|Upcoming Recruitment Notifications|